Friday, July 1, 2011

ABA Drill Sergeant Mom, Meet Doubt

             
                So Wylie was in a day-camp. Haha. Yay! His school arranged the camp for the students and broke them up by age group. It took place an hour after his last ABA session ended in the morning, so we had to kill an hour for a week by having lunch at a nearby McDonald’s. Today he finally figured out the routine and when he realized leaving the fast food joint meant going back to school, he started howling and crying. I really, really, REALLY didn’t blame him. He has an extra hour of ABA on Thursdays, and his day was already long. And now he knew he had to go back. BS. Yeah, Buddy, I gotta agree.
                When we got back to his school, he found a black bean bag chair in the corner and slumped down in it, sulking. I was surprised to see him so frustrated and disappointed. He’s usually pretty happy to be out of the house. But it was a really long day for a 2 year old.
                I’m not really conflicted. At first, I was pretty skeptical about this camp idea (it was a little steep for the amount of hours) but by the time I really started looking into nearby preschools, I liked the idea. The therapist who runs the school had already talked to me about some of the programs they would work on and thought it was a good start to prepare him for a preschool setting. I do not know if Wylie is ready for a fully included regular old preschool. He’s just so bright and very good at following instructions, as long as he really understands what is expected of him and people follow through. He’s just like his mama, we’re wild, free spirits and stubborn and complainy, but give us a little structure and we’ll flourish.
                So, when I started looking, all these questions that I hadn’t thought of before suddenly needed answering- hmm, can Wylie follow along with his peers? Can he stay focused on one activity for a length of time? How much prompting/attention would he need?
                 He does well in his social groups and his imitation is impressive. I speak as a proud mother who remembers a little boy who wouldn’t repeat sounds and had no idea what you expected of him when you modeled a gesture or motion. He pretty much gets that if a bunch of people are participating in an activity, it’s probably appropriate to join in. Oh, shit, wait. That’s one of those awful NT “sheep” traits I just brainwashed my son into possessing. Oh, wow, that kind of hurt my brain a little bit.
                Maybe I am conflicted?

No comments:

Post a Comment